If you’ve been following me enough, you’ll know by now that I love working with felt. Most recently, a few weeks ago, I shared a cute little felt kitty cat hair clip tutorial over at Rebel & Malice. Today I have for you you another super quick project that is super sweet. A mini felt heart pin (or brooch if you prefer to call it that)!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through the link I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Affiliate links are marked with an asterisk *. Affiliate links help support this blog, thank you!
These mini felt heart pins take almost no time at all. Make a bunch and give them to your friends for Valentine’s Day.
Supplies Needed to Make One Felt Heart Pin:
- Scrap piece of felt (wool or wool-blend are my favourite to work with)
- Scrap piece of fabric
- 1″ Pin back* (US link) (Canada link*)
- Hand sewing needle and matching thread
- Small amount of polyfil
- The heart template (or you can draw your own heart)
- Freezer paper (optional)
Finished size is approximately 1.5″
Instructions to Make Mini Felt Heart Pin:
- Print out the heart template and trace two hearts onto freezer paper (if using). Cut around the heart shape. Lightly iron the freezer paper to the felt and cut out two heart shapes from felt. Lightly iron one freezer paper heart shape onto the scrap of cotton fabric and cut out one heart.
Or alternatively, pin the heart template to the felt and cut out two felt hearts and repeat to cut out one cotton heart. If pinning the template directly onto the felt I recommend tracing the heart onto cardstock so it will hold up better.
- On the back of one felt heart, hand stitch the pin back in place. Place the pin back in the center near the top of the heart.
- Layer the three hearts together so that the cotton fabric is right side out and the felt heart with the pin back attached is on the bottom and the pin back is exposed. Whipstitch or blanket stitch (I used blanket stitch here) the three layers together, going all around but leaving about 1/2″ open. Do not tie off the thread yet.
- Stuff your heart between the two layers of felt with a small amount of polyfil until you are satisfied with it’s plumpiness.
- Whipstitch (or blanket stitch) the opening closed and tie off the thread.
- And Voila! You now have a cute little felt heart pin to keep or to give. My daughter has one permanently pinned to her school bag.
Check out my other tutorials for more fun projects!
Ula writes for Lulu & Celeste
(Visited 1,554 times, 1 visits today)
7 thoughts on “Tutorial: Cute Felt Heart Pin”
Such a sweet project–and a great way to use treasures from my fabric stash! Thanks for sharing.
You’re welcome! Thanks for stopping by 🙂
so cute!! Here from pinbellish party. you have inspired me!
Awesome! Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
love those little felt hearts!!