I’m really happy to be taking part in Underground Crafter‘s Little Gifts Sew Along sharing these patchwork coasters with you. There are 25 free sewing projects being shared all year long that are perfect stocking stuffer gifts.
Did I mention that there are prizes for sewing along?? Check out all the details here.
I love making coasters! They’re quick and easy to sew. They make a great gift for tea or coffee lovers alike, and they’re a great way to feature fun fabrics or use up scraps. Especially patchwork coasters like these. Normally I like to use up scraps when I make coasters but the ones in the main photo were made using fabrics from a charm pack for the front and upcycled denim fabric for the back.
I’m still waiting for my sewing machine to be fixed so I’ll update with better step-by-step photos soon!!
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links are marked with an asterisk (*).
How to make a set of four patchwork coasters
- Quilting cotton fabric scraps -four coordinating pieces measuring about 5″ square
- Denim or canvas fabric scraps -four pieces measuring 4.5″ square
- Thin batting -four pieces cut in 5″ squares (I used scraps of Warm and Natural cotton batting*)
- Scissors, rotary cutter*
- Thread, sewing machine, etc
- Iron for pressing seams, or try this Clover mini press*
The finished project is approximately 4.25″ x 4.25″.
Patchwork Coaster Instructions:
- Take the four pieces of fabric for the front and cut two diagonally across to create eight triangles. Set four triangles aside.
- With the remaining four triangles, cut diagonally across to create eight smaller triangles.
- Pin two small triangles right sides together and stitch with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Press seam allowance open. Repeat with the remaining 6 small triangles. You will now have 4 triangles (plus the other four larger triangles from the first step).
- Pin one pieced triangle right sides together with an unpieced triangle and stitch with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Press seam allowance open. Repeat with the remaining triangles. You should now have four pieced fronts.
- Place one pieced front or top layer right sides up on top of a batting square (the wrong side will be touching the batting). Quilt the batting and top layer together. Trim the quilted square down to a 4.5″ square. Repeat with the other three pieced fronts and batting.1
- Place the backing fabric square and the quilted front pieces right sides together. Stitch around the four sides of the coaster leaving a two inch gap open along one edge. Clip the corners and trim the batting close to the stitch line to help remove any bulk.
- Turn the coaster right sides out through the opening you left. Push out the corners with something pointy but not sharp such as a knitting needle.
- Press the coaster. Then edgestitch around the coaster to close the opening.
and there you have it! Your very own set of patchwork coasters to give away (or maybe put them in your own stocking!)
1If you prefer, you can quilt all three layers together after turning the coaster through, I just wanted the plain denim back for these coasters.
Fabrics used in the coaster set in main photo: Michael Miller’s Waterfront Park collection for the front and upcycled denim for the back.